Friday, April 13, 2012

My Hair is Falling Out

Well what I have been dreading is here.  My hair is falling out.  Not all at once like I though, but still.  I thought that I would wake up and there would be clumps on the pillow or when I washed it there would  be lots of hair in the drain.  That hasn't happened.  Every time I touch my head - a few hairs come out in my hand and my scalp feels funny. I'm not sure which is worse - it coming out all at once or the waiting.  I keep looking at myself in the mirror wondering what I am going look like.  I am sure that I am going to look sick - like a cancer patient.  That is something that I have been trying to avoid - then I won't be able to pretend anymore.  It will be slapping me in the face every time I see myself.  I was so afraid to wash it last night.  I cried just getting into the shower.  This part is harder than I thougt it would be. It is just hair - it will grow back.  I thought I could handle it - that I was strong.  I am not that strong. 

Today I went to Candy's Place.  It is a cancer wellness center.  They gave me a tour and showed me what they had to offer me and my family.  I just kept thinking that I don't belong here - I'm not "in treatment".  It's not like the waiting rooms that I hate so much - it is a lovely place with so much love and kindness emitting from it.  They just kept telling me how much they could help me feel better - I believe them, but I just can't help but cry.  I just don't want to have cancer - I don't want to do this any more.  I just don't want to.  But again, I have no choice. 

I don't think that I have really accepted the fact that I am a cancer patient - I am in treatment - I do belong.  I want to pretend that it isn't true.  Maybe by the time I am done with whole thing I will have accepted it, but I don't think so.

I am doing well.  I don't want everyone to think that I don't have good times.  I am able to be out and about.  Having dinner with my friends from work - cooking with Jim - feeling like myself.  I am going to be OK, I know that.  It is just going to be a rough road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment