Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I can Exhale

These last few days have been hard on me.  I have been uncomfortable and sad.  I was so afraid that something was wrong, that the cancer was coming back.  I know in my head that everything was OK, but the fear creeps in sometimes - like little mice running across the floor.  I try to plug up all the holes that let them in, but they always find their way.  I know that women die from this cancer and I was just afraid. 

I went to the Dr. yesterday and was so disappointed.  My blood work came back and my platelets and white counts were low.  I did so well last time - everything came right back after my treatment.  I recovered so quickly and felt so good.  I was so surprised when they came back low.  So disappointed - like I had failed.  I know in my head that I didn't - but it still feels like I did.  If they don't come up by Thursday - no chemo until Monday.  I know that it doesn't sound that bad, but that will push everything back.  July 12th won't be the last. She also sent a ca125 - cancer marker - and a UA to make sure that my discomfort wasn't anything. 

I went to support group last night.  It was good.  I realized that I am lucky.  There were so many in a worse place than I.  It felt good to tell my story to people who really understood everything - they were in the midst of it too.  I hope that I am as strong as they are. 

The Dr.'s office called today.  I was so scared.  I didn't think that I would hear from them until Wednesday.  First she told me that my UA was good.  Then she asked if I had some time.  I sure didn't like the sound of that.  Then she told me that my ca125 was NORMAL.  Wow.  I couldn't believe it.  I felt like I could exhale for the first time in a week.  I think that I believe for the first time that the cancer is really gone.  I know that they told me that I was "optimally debulked", but now I think that I believe it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment